Dr. Wilbert Zwart is a group leader at the Netherlands Cancer Institute, division of Oncogenomics, where he started his independent lab in 2011. In 2003, he obtained his BSc and MSc at the University of Utrecht. In 2009, he received his Ph.D. (cum laude) from the University of Leiden, based on his work at the Netherlands Cancer Institute in the groups of dr. Rob Michalides and prof. dr. Jacques Neefjes. Funded by a Dutch Cancer Society KWF fellowship, he performed his postdoctoral training with dr. Jason Carroll at the Cancer Research UK Cambridge Research Institute, where he studied cofactor genomics in breast cancer (2009-2011). His lab studies hormone receptor function and transcriptional regulation in breast and prostate cancer, in search for biomarkers and novel targets for therapeutic interventions.
- 2016: Dutch Scientific Organization NWO VIDI laureate
- 2016: Best paper Clinical Endocrinology 2015, Dutch Endocrine Society (NVE)
- 2014: Pezcoller Fellowship
- 2014: Alpe d’HuZes/ Dutch Cancer Society KWF Bas Mulder Award
- 2011: Dutch Scientific Organization NWO VENI laureate
- 2009: Dutch Cancer Society KWF Fellowship
- 2009: Dutch Scientific Organization NWO Rubicon laureate
- 2009: PhD Cum Laude
- 2008: Netherlands Cancer Institute annual Award
- 2006: Dutch Cancer Society KWF symposium award
- Droog, M., Nevedomskaya, E., Dackus, G. M., Fles, R., Kim, Y., Hollema, H., ... & van Leeuwen, F. E. (2017). Estrogen receptor α wields treatment-specific enhancers between morphologically similar endometrial tumors. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 114(8), E1316-E1325.
- Jansen, M. P., Knijnenburg, T., Reijm, E. A., Simon, I., Kerkhoven, R., Droog, M., ... & Foekens, J. A. (2013). Hallmarks of aromatase inhibitor drug resistance revealed by epigenetic profiling in breast cancer. Cancer research, 73(22), 6632-6641.
- Korkmaz, G., Lopes, R., Ugalde, A. P., Nevedomskaya, E., Han, R., Myacheva, K., ... & Agami, R. (2016). Functional genetic screens for enhancer elements in the human genome using CRISPR-Cas9. Nature biotechnology, 34(2), 192.
- Severson, T., Kim, Y., Joosten, S., Schuurman, K., van der Groep, P., Moelans, C., ter Hoeve, N., Manson, Q., Martens, J., van Deurzen, C., Barbe, E., Hedenfalk, I., Bult, P., Smit, V., Linn, SC., van Diest, P., Wessels LFA, Zwart, W. (2018). Characterizing steroid hormone receptor chromatin binding landscapes in male and female breast cancer. Nature Communications.
- Stelloo, S., Nevedomskaya, E., van der Poel, H. G., de Jong, J., van Leenders, G. J., Jenster, G., ... & Zwart, W. (2015). Androgen receptor profiling predicts prostate cancer outcome. EMBO molecular medicine, e201505424