Emile Voest is medical director of the Netherlands Cancer Institute, senior scientist of the Oncode Institute, medical oncologist and translational scientist. In addition to his clinical and managerial responsibilities he is leading his own research group. His laboratory group is devoted to bringing personalized medicine to patients and is focused on mechanistic studies and identification of biomarkers that predict treatment efficacy. The results from these studies are subsequently translated in clinical studies. These translational approaches are performed across tumor types with emphasis on epithelial tumors.
His research is in the area of personalized medicine consists of large scale genomic sequencing of patients with metastatic cancer, the development of primary cultures of tumors for ex vivo testing (including tumor organoids) and the use of these cultures to improve drug development and to determine which treatment is best for a specific patient.
- D.L. van der Velden, H. van der Wijngaart, L.R. Hoes, J.M. van Berge Henegouwen, E. van Werkhoven, P. Roepman, R.L. Schilsky, W.W.J. de Leng, A.D.R. Huitema, B. Nuijen, P.M. Nederlof, C.M.L. van Herpen, D.J.A. de Groot, L.A. Devriese, A. Hoeben, M.J.A. de Jonge, M. Chalabi, E.F. Smit, A.J. de Langen, N. Mehra, M. Labots, E. Kapiteijn, S. Sleijfer, E. Cuppen , H.M.W. Verheul, H. Gelderblom, E.E. Voest. Drug rediscovery protocol: expanded use of existing anti-cancer drugs. Nature, 2019 574(7776):127-131
- Salo N. Ooft, Fleur Weeber, Krijn K. Dijkstra, Chelsea M. McLean, Sovann Kaing, Erik van Werkhoven, Louisa Hoes, Daniel Vis, Joris van de Haar, Luuk Schipper, Warner Prevoo, Petur Snaebjornsson, Daphne van der Velden, Myriam Chalabi, Henk Boot, Monique van Leerdam, Haiko J. Bloemendal, Laurens V. Beerepoot, Lodewyk Wessels, Edwin Cuppen, Hans Clevers and Emile. E. Voest. Patient-derived organoids predict response to chemotherapy in metastatic colorectal cancer patients. Sci Transl Med. 2019 Oct 9;11(513)
- Peter Priestley, Jonathan Baber, Martijn P. Lolkema, Neeltje Steeghs, Ewart de Bruijn, Korneel Duyvesteyn, Susan Haidari, Arne van Hoeck, Wendy Onstenk, Paul Roepman, Charles Shale, Mircea Voda, Haiko J. Bloemendal, Vivianne C.G. Tjan-Heijnen, Carla M.L. van Herpen, Mariette Labots, Petronella O. Witteveen, Egbert F. Smit, Stefan Sleijfer, Emile E. Voest, Edwin Cuppen. Pan-cancer whole genome analyses of metastatic solid tumors. Nature,575(7781):210-216]
- van de Haar, J., Canisius, S., Yu, M.K., Voest, E.E., Wessels, L.F.A., Ideker, T. Identifying epistasis in cancer genomes: a delicate affair. Cell, 2019; 177(6):1375-1383
- Krijn K. Dijkstra, Chiara M. Cattaneo, Fleur Weeber, Myriam Chalabi, Joris van de Haar, Lorenzo Fanchi, Maarten Slagter, Daphne L. van der Velden, Sovann Kaing, Sander Kelderman, Nienke van Rooij, Monique E. van Leerdam, Annekatrien Depla, Egbert Smit, Koen Hartemink, Rosa Groot, Monika Wolkers, Norman Sachs, Petur Snaebjornsson, Kim Monkhorst, John Haanen, Hans Clevers, Ton N. Schumacher, Emile E. Voest. Facilitating individualized T cell therapy by co-culture of peripheral blood lymphocytes and tumor organoids. Cell 2018, 174(6):1586-1598