Careers at Oncode
Interested in joining us? Please have a look at our current vacancies.
About Oncode Institute
Oncode is an independent institute dedicated to understanding cancer and translating research into practice more efficiently. Oncode, starting from a deeper understanding of the basics of cancer, works to come up with better treatments and improved diagnostics. This will take time. Only a coordinated and sustained effort will bring us closer to our goal: helping more patients survive, improving the quality of life for those afflicted, and ultimately curing cancer.
(Senior) Grant Officer
About Oncode Institute
Oncode Institute aims to enable patients to survive cancer and improve the quality of life by creating breakthroughs in our understanding of cancer and translating these into next-generation diagnostics and treatments.
Your role within Oncode Institute
As Grant Officer you take the lead in developing an organizational strategy for subsidy-funded strategic collaborations and scouting for international funding opportunities for Oncode consortia. You have a coordinating role in supporting grant applications and consortium building, and will manage relationships with partners including scientists, public and private organisations and our key stakeholders. In projects where tasks are assigned to Oncode, you will be in the lead to coordinate these.
Your position within the team
As the Grant Officer you report to the Head Research and Community support. You will be part of the Community and Research (Core) Team, work in close collaboration with the Valorization Team, and liaise frequently with colleagues throughout the institute on topics related to e.g. science, business development, finance and communication.
You have a track record in grant support, writing and development, and you are able to translate bold scientific plans into clear and competitive grant applications. You have a strong affinity with scientific research, combined with good organizational capabilities. At the same time you are capable of coordinating large scale collaborations with members of different backgrounds, and you have good sensitivity to interpersonal, professional and cross-cultural relationships with great capacity for stakeholder management.
The profile of the preferred candidate are as follows:
- Creative, flexible, possesses problem-solving attitude;
- Affinity for strategic influence to rally people around a common goal;
- Collaborative mindset, also capable to work independently;
- Excellent communication and writing skills,
- Fluent in English, written and oral, preferably basic understanding of Dutch (A1 level or higher)
- · Masters (or ideally a PhD degree) in (bio-)medical science
- · Proven experience (>3y) in grant support and scientific writing of relevant national and international grants;
Activities of the (senior) grant officer
Developing an Oncode funding strategy
- Maintain overview of the national and international (oncology) funding landscapes;
- Opportunity scouting for the Oncode research community, with a focus on international collaborative projects; and EU’s Mission on Cancer synergies
Grant application coordination and support
- Relationship management and engagement with our key stakeholders including the Oncode research community, funding agencies, academic and private partners, patient organisations, and national contact points
- Initiate strategic Oncode-coordinated international consortia, and facilitate strategic projects of which Oncode is a consortium partner
- Coordinate, review and develop international grant applications;
- Assess proposal requirements (e.g. objectives, administrative, consortium and financial parameters) and advise investigators, partners and other stakeholders to optimize fit-to-call for successful application submission
Project contribution and training
- Within consortia, coordination of tasks assigned to Oncode that involve specific expertise available within the Oncode team.
- Organise and host training sessions and workshops on grant writing;
Why should you apply?
- You would like to join us in our important mission and work in close connection with researchers, patients and clinicians, and together with universities, institutes, funders and companies
- You would like to contribute to our mission by bringing together the right people and parties to address important challenges in oncology and are highly motivated to secure funding for these consortia
- Collaboration is in your DNA. You are looking forward working with a diverse team where your ambition, creativity and involvement in cancer research are welcomed
About the team
We work with multiple different nationalities and variation of backgrounds, Oncode forms a naturally diverse team of circa 30 co-workers from all over the world based in Utrecht (next to the Central Station). You can meet us here: https://www.oncode.nl/about/our-team
What we offer
You will initially be appointed for one year, with the possibility and intention to extend to a permanent position. We offer a competitive remuneration package, including pension plan and commuting allowance. We provide the possibility for hybrid working, working home supplies and compensation. Possibility to travel internationally for projects.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send your cover letter and resume to Manouche Hetzler: email@example.com. The vacancy is open for application until the position is filled.
Business Development Professional
Oncode Institute aims to enable patients to survive cancer and improve their quality of life by creating breakthroughs in our understanding of cancer and translating these into next-generation diagnostics and treatments.
A successful business development professional finds synergies between different parties. At Oncode, partnerships are key – whether internal or external. This will require you to leverage your knowledge of both oncology and your overview of the oncology market, the funding landscape and your business development skills. The position requires a broad understanding of oncology and drug discovery, the current landscape in pharmaceutical clinical trials and marketed drugs, diagnostics and biomarkers, as well as a detailed understanding of research agreements, patent and (pre-) clinical development strategies.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Build and maintain relationships with industry, foundations, academic and funding partners;
- Create alliances between academic and industry partners to support the research activities or technology development of Oncode Investigators;
- Evaluate new research results for their commercial and clinical potential, including completing IP assessments and initiating and managing IP protection activities for such research output;
- Market analysis and development of marketing campaigns to valorize new oncology research results;
- Drafting and negotiating agreements (CDA/MTA/Research/license) to valorize new research results, including post-agreement management; and
- Assisting with new company creation, based on IP generated by Oncode Investigators.
Qualifications / Skills
- A Master’s degree with a background in molecular biology, with a PhD considered a big asset;
- Between 5 and 10 years of working experience in a business development or licensing role in life sciences, preferentially of oncology-related assets. Industry experience (licensing or early-stage technology scouting) or academic technology transfer is preferred;
- Advanced knowledge of valorisation processes, including technology assessment, IP protection and commercialization;
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, prospecting and closing skills; and
- Fluency in English is required, with a passive knowledge of Dutch a plus.
- Enthusiastic and easy connector with excellent negotiation skills;
- Commitment, confidence, perseverance, self-starting;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills;
- Team player; and
- Multi-tasking and prioritization capability.
What will you get in return?
- Being part of a small, diverse and international team;
- Opportunity to make a positive impact with your work; and
- Competitive remuneration package.
How to apply
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send your cover letter and resume to Manouche Hetzler: email@example.com. The vacancy is open for application until the position is filled.